This site is an outline created by myself and Prof. Noah Shibley to create a waterborne hackerspace check out the site for more info. http://hackership.tumblr.com/
The Earth is a unique place, a fragile blue marble floating through the vast desert of space supporting life with possibly the most valuable substance in the Universe, liquid water. This blog is the first step in a bold new vision of how to support research of marine environments. Our goal is to create an ocean going research vessel which is open to many research agendas at once, a party boat versus a charter boat if you will. This is both to reduce the individual cost of going to sea with a research project and to foster shared interests similar to an ocean going “hacker space”.
Our reckoning is that so many research agendas go unfulfilled because of the expense of being at sea. Some of these include:
-How can we make ocean transportation more sustainable? Currently many ships burn “bunker” fuel which is one of the most polluting of available fuels.
- How might we reconsider living and traveling on the sea?
- How can we provide a platform to test projects that otherwise could not find funding to go to sea.
- Develop the hacker mentality in research in new research for marine sustainability and ecology.
- Foster research ideas for long term self-sustainable living away from the world grid in deep space or deep sea.
- 44% of the world population lives within 150km of the coast thus a research vessel is ideally positioned to spread new hacker ideas, ethics, innovations, and inventions to help the communities that need them most.
- Collect and distribute information and innovations from various hacker and rural communities around the world.
We have come up with many possible ways to tackle this project and will post our results we also rely on you the reader for comments and suggestions.